After a long and a thorough evaluation process, our judges have come up with the top ten entries. It is important to point out that after the extension of the entry submission deadline, we received quite a number of entries and as a result, the judging process took longer than expected. We apologize for that.
We had three judges who made their assessment based on the following factors:
- Plot development
- Character development
- Creativity (Titling and relevance, content and themes in-line with our competition’s theme)
- Grammar (though not strict as this can be improved during the editing phase)
A number of entries had to be disqualified on technicalities such:
- Non-compliance to our entry requirements
- Missing entry forms
Entries were ranked out of 10 with each judge required to give a score of between 1 and 10, with 10 being the maximum and 1 being the minimum score. A sum of all individual entry scores by the three judges was made and an average (out of 10) calculated. We will not be posting each entry’s score as we fear it may influence the next phase. What we will do is list the top 10 entries, not in any order. This is to mean that you can’t assume the best entry from the order we will post the shortlists. However, we will make all scores available after the next phase.
The next phase involves public consumption of the entries. The judges had their say and now the public have an opportunity to contribute. Each shortlisted entrant will receive a link to their story. They will share this link and urge individuals to vote for them. These votes, together with those of the judges, will determine the final score. This phase will only take a week.
Top 10 Entries
- Grass to Glory by Valerie Atonya Kidavasi
- Life Blows by Brayarn Ogeda Oduor
- Never Awaken Love Till it Pleases by Grace Nekesa Waswa
- Omens and Dreams and Things by Zephaniah Onyango Oyugi
- Tears of a Pen by Stephen Odhiambo Caloo
- The Curse of Beauty by Emmanuel Kimaru
- The Grim Reaper by Bradley Wanjala Mayuba
- The Need to Fit in by Anne Wairimu Kimani
- The Unfold by Victoria Wambui Wachira
- When the Rain Falls by Florence Awino Ouma
Congratulations to the above entries.